Wild Medicine

Choice is a right, not a privilege.

Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)

Tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, is the psychoactive ingredient of the cannabis plant. When ingested, THC combines with receptors in the brain and organs to cause physical and psychological effects. These effects can last only a few hours or can last many hours depending on the mode of ingestion. THC does collect, usually in fat tissue, and can remain in your system up to 90 days after use, but generally in such low doses it takes special test to determine this. Acute overdose is very unlikely to be fatal. New users or heavy users may experience "greening out" and a general sick feeling if dosage is too large. The cure for this is to simply sleep it off. Everyone reacts differently to any substance, so with anything ingested, moderation is the key until the effects are known to the user.

The main psychoactive component of cannabis, Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), reaches peak concentration in the blood within minutes of smoking, but rapid absorption by fatty tissues then leads to milder effects. Edible products have become popular and the effects are usually much stronger with a longer timeline for symptoms to diminish. However, one of the main metabolites of cannabis, 11-nor-Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol carboxylic acid (carboxy-THC), which is detectable in the blood shortly after use, persists in the blood for a months or more. Immunoassays do not distinguish between active THC and its inactive metabolites. For this reason, blood or urine tests may remain positive for a long time after cannabis consumption, and cannot be taken to indicate intoxication, only proof of prior useage.

**Wild Medicine does not promote the illicit sale or use of cannabis and/or its derivatives. Our goal is to educate you, so you can make your own Choice.**